I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Camp Grandma



The kids had another great week at Camp Grandma! Each summer, we bring the kids to Rhode Island for a fun filled week with my mom serving as camp director. it's official- they have t-shirts to prove it!

She provides crafts like necklace making, hat decorating and decoupaging vases.


She also fills the days with activities like Native American Dancing, kickball games, scavenger hunts, makeovers etc. Add a few field trips to the penny candy store, fire station, the beach, a PawSox game, my sister's pool and the local ice cream shop and my kids are in heaven.



This year they even added a service project and did a car wash to raise money for Hasbro Children's Hospital. It is wonderful for my kids to have this time with their cousins and grandparents, and Mike and I took advantage of it and slipped away to New York City for the weekend to see "Wicked" on Broadway. It is such a great production, and one that I will see over and over again if given the chance! We had a beautiful hotel room on Times Square and we had a wonderful few days of sightseeing.



I drove home to Rhode Island Sunday night because Mike was staying another week in NYC for a sales conference. The kids and I spent a few more days having fun with Grandma and flew home Weds. night. The kids were great on the flight and I even got a little nap when Julia fell asleep. Great friends picked us up at the airport at midnight, and we were happy to be in our own beds by 1 am. It was another successful Camp Grandma- thanks Mom!

3 comments:

The Kansas Stephens said...

Heather,
What a fun summer! I think I would like to trade. When did Sean get so tall? Wow! As usual you and your family are amazing... at having fun, being together, just having fun...it was great to catch up through the blog.
Sara

Alisa said...

Your mom is amazing! Camp Grandma looks like so much fun - take notes and remind me that I want to do stuff like that when I am a Grandma . . . if I have the energy!

Debbie said...

What a great idea. I am impressed by Grandma in organizing that. I hope to be like that someday too!

Glad you got to sightsee in NYC.