I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Newborn Joy



I love having a newborn in the house. I don't mind the occasional fussiness, the middle of the night feedings, or the dozens of diaper changes each day. This is still my favorite time. This child was, just a matter of weeks ago, in the presence of my Father in Heaven. There is a feeling that comes into my home when a new baby comes to our family that is like no other feeling on earth....because it is a heavenly feeling. Something celestial, or at least what I think "celestial" will feel like. I have always loved these lines from the William Wordsworth poem "Ode":

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!


The only thing I don't like about this newborn feeling is that it always fades with time. The world rubs off on us, and we get back to the day to day routine and forget this time. Maybe this blog post will help me remember. I hope so, because it is one of the dearest gifts Heavenly Father has given me as a mom- this time to remember what it feels like to be near Him.













5 comments:

Susie said...

I've been thinking about how different kids become as they grow up. We wouldn't want it any other way, of course - I mean, eventually they need to be ready to leave! But my baby just turned 4, and I am really, really missing that Newborn Joy you describe so well.

Alisa said...

So sweet.

Tami said...

I too love the newborn days. I feel like it is a bit of heaven on earth! Wish I could pop over and hold her. She is beautiful!

CBG said...

I wish we could slow it down. Marley is already 9 months, and I just want her to stay the sweet portable little bundle she is. Babies are hands down the best thing in life.

Sharon said...

Beautiful. Just like her mother.