I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, July 15, 2010





We just got home from vacation in Williamsburg, Virginia. We met my two sisters and my parents there for Camp Grandma this year because Autumn wanted to visit Southern Virginia University to see if she might want to go there. She is there this week for EFY and will fly home next Sat.








My good friend Melanie made these great shirts for the grandkids and my mom. We got comments on the shirts everywhere we went. They say Camp Grandma on the back and made it easy to spot each other from a mile away. Since Julia is such a great escape artist and runner and we were in many crowded places- Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Williamsburg- this was a good thing. It was crazy hot while we were there- 105-110 for a few days- but we still had a great time. We went to Water Country to beat the heat. They offered a "bounce pass" for these three places where you could go as many times as you want within 7 days for a price that was lower than two regular tickets to the park. So there was no rush to see everything in one day....leaving us time to do things like stop and try honeysuckle.

I think my favorite part of this vacation was watching the way the cousins played together. They had not seen each other for nearly a year, but they just immediately pick up their close relationships with each other. I love this picture of Sean and Kathryn- it just seemed to capture the comfortable ease they felt with each other.

Of course not all children are perfect, and we did have to punish a few for being too rowdy!


But for the most part, it was a wonderful trip with the kids. Makayla, who was the unhappiest newborn we have ever had, has become the happiest infant we have ever had. She travelled like a pro and kept us all smiling.

4 comments:

Tami said...

LOVE the shirts. Glad you were able to have such a great time. Funny, but only Elisabeth and Drew have been to Williamsburg. We keep hitting DC and the Beach in the Carolinas.

John and Jenny said...

What a wonderful trip. I love the Grandma Camp. I cannot wait to see you as well. It has been too long.

Susie said...

Thanks for the fantastic pics & the stories. Nothing better than a great vacation with cousins. Cousins definitely rock!

Debbie said...

The shirts are wonderful. I've come to love orange too!

Grandma Camp is such a great idea. I hope I'm that kind of Grandma some day. Isn't Williamsburg fabulous? KT and I went last spring - fun and history rolled into one!